Google

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Personal Story from one of my Readers

I received this from one of my readers-it is a great example of the powerful effect that one simple gesture of appreciation can have. It happened (20) years ago, and it is still remembered in detail...Wow!!!

Thank you for including me on this list. You are absolutely correct about the written thank you. I remember my first job out of college as an engineer for Pella windows. After a very frustrating week trying to solve a production issue on the manufacturing floor (not really my job), the manager of that department (not my supervisor) took the time to write me a hand written thank you note. In it, he thanked me for my work and said he was impressed by my dedication to the company. Even though this took place in 1988, I can still remember where I was sitting when I read the note, roughly what it said, and how much it lifted my spirits. These notes are few and far between (I am not sure I have received any others, but I am probably mistaken). As far as other effects of the note, from that time on, I would go out of my way to help that manager, even though I didn’t directly report to him

No comments:

In your opinion, which of the following is the most effective way to recognize an employee for a significant accomplishment at work?